Saturday, September 8, 2012

In the name of Science...

I was "hunting" butterfly eggs for over two hours today. This is a true story. Kindergarten studies the life cycle of a butterfly… So here is the short/PG version:
1. An egg is laid on the bottom of a Milk Weed leaf
2. Tiny caterpillar eats his/her way out of the egg
3. Caterpillar eats lots of Milk Weed (but not apples, pears, oranges, & junk food per The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle) I've heard it will also poop a lot…which makes sense...
4. Big & strong caterpillar climbs up something and hangs in a "J"
5. A chrysalis forms (notice I DID NOT say cocoon, cocoons are just moths)
6. After about 2 weeks - a beautiful monarch butterfly comes out of the chrysalis and flies away
7. The monarch butterfly flies to Mexico and looks for a partner to "dance" with
8. The partners "dance" then fly back up here to lay eggs & start the process over again

Mini Lesson on Caterpillars/Butterflies - you're welcome for that new knowledge and there will be plenty more where that came from, so get excited!

In other news - I was the crazy lady walking along Illinois & Hamilton Roads this afternoon. I was attacked by 50 million grasshoppers and discovered that milk weed only grow in the most inconvenient places. Places where you can't park your car. Places that have huge burrs & thorn bushes. Most of the time I was walking through weeds up to my waist and the entire time I was hoping there weren't any wild animals waiting to attack me. I was praying. And hunting. And cursing. And thinking, "I don't make enough money to be spending my Saturday doing this." But I love my students, so it was worth it.

Oh - and I *think* I found three eggs. (this will have to be verified by a butterfly egg expert on Monday - aka: another Kindergarten teacher)

Finally - Josie is a crawler. More on this, less on butterflies, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Your students are very lucky to have you!!! Not all teachers are willing to give up their Saturdays to get dirty and bitten by who know what. I'd love to enroll Lucas in your class - are you willing to adopt Lucas for a year just to be in your class?

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!