Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ritz4Education

So the elections are just a few days away - and THANK GOD for that! I've had about enough of the Political Ads on TV. Seriously. Enough.

BUT - I have one plea…and it's especially directed at my Conservative friends & family. Yes, my Republican friends - I'm asking you to vote for a "Democrat." But HEAR ME OUT!

You may (or may not) be aware that there is a very important race for Superintendent of Public Education happening this year. The incumbent, Tony Bennett, is facing Glenda Ritz. Below are some important things you should know about Glenda:

1. Glenda Ritz is an EDUCATOR. Yes, she teaches children and she knows what is happening in our schools. Friends, the state of education right now is bad. Scary bad. We're so focused on testing and teaching TO THE TEST - that we are leaving kids helpless when it comes to THINKING. Children are more than a test score, I promise!

2. Glenda IS for teacher accountability (and I AM TOO!!). But she also realizes that the current pressure on teachers is causing animosity and is making teachers focus on something OTHER THAN TEACHING. I can tell you - teaching under this pressure is stressful and in the long run, detrimental to the success of students.

3. Glenda supports the ARTS. Come on, I think we can all agree that creativity should be embraced and supported in Public Education. Not every child will grow up to be a doctor, lawyer, scientist, or scholar. We need artists, musicians, poets, and authors. Creativity is lacking in our classrooms…and not because teachers don't value it.  Unfortunately, the current Superintendent doesn't value it because it can't be measured on a test.

If you would like more information on Glenda Ritz - please visit her WEBSITE. And if you don't want to take my word for it - ask ANY educator you know. I bet most of them will tell you "we need a change!"

Thanks to my family who voted early - and didn't vote straight ticket!!  :)  Jack and Josie will soon be sitting in a Public School classroom and they say "THANKS!"

1 comment:

  1. Great job on persuading us! Obama WON! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!