Thursday, January 8, 2015

Jack's 5! A trip down memory lane...

The word "poopy" got this smile. Boy humor. I embrace it.
Call me crazy...but I can't believe I have a 5 year old. I feel like I could tell you every single detail of my life 5 years ago today. I woke up before my alarm sounded. I showered and got dressed...I even threw on some make-up and dried my hair. Before I walked out the door, into the cold, snowy January morning - I took a picture by "Baby Becker's" crib.

At the hospital my blood pressure was through the roof. They were all "OMG you have preeclampsia" and I was like, "Uhhh, HELLO...I'm about to welcome my first child into the world." {and I didn't have Preeclampsia} There was some Tracy Chapman playing in the room {what?!?}, at various points in the day I was laughing, and sitting on a birthing ball. At 3:30pm, I looked at the clock after pushing for almost 2 hours...and said to myself "This baby is coming out before 4, because I'm STARVING!" He arrived at 3:51pm - a tiny, warm ball of amazingness. And I listened to him cry and whimper as the nurses and doctors checked him out
...and I ate THE.BEST.DAMN.BAGEL.EVER.
This may have been pre-bagel. I still look hungry.

We spent months getting to know each other. I learned what his cries meant...and he learned to recognize my voice, then my face, then my smile. He smiled back. I was so in love. I still am.



I won't sugarcoat it. As soon as he learned to walk, he learned to run and throw...and then kick. All hell broke loose...on more than one occasion. I've accepted the fact that sports will be played INSIDE...but I've relegated them to the basement {we live in Michigan for God's sake}. He jumps off the stairs, on the couch, and on my bed. He's now a much bigger ball of energy.
I swear he's been throwing a ball since he figured out how to move his right arm.


He's the life of the party. He's never met a stranger. The other day, we were walking through the mall and we both saw an elderly man sitting on a bench. As we were walking by, Jack said, "HI! Have a good day!" And the man's face lit up. I hope he always does that. I hope he can always find ways to make this world a better, happier place to live.


Sometimes he's so persistent it drives me crazy. He's stubborn, too. But he's also so, so sweet. He loves his little sister and little brother so much. When he smiles at Nolan, his smile reaches his eyes...and when he and Josie play house together he calls her "hunny." It's pretty darn cute.


I've been taking more videos on my phone of all three of the kids. I don't want to forget their little voices or the way they say certain words. Jack is SUPER close to Tyson. If you ask him who his best friend is - he'll tell you "my dad" {followed closely by "and Maddox and Jace and Christian and Owen."}.
Best buddies.


Jack -
You are a special boy. You make a lot of people very happy. You make Daddy and me very proud. You are loved. Always. Happy 5th birthday.
XOXOXO,
Mom
One of the last family picture of just the 3 of us...
Josie arrived a few weeks later.


3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to the BEST 5 Year old in the whole wide world. We love you so much Jack. Kady thanks so much for this wonderful walk down memory lane!!! Love Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tillykke med fødselsdagen Jack!! Love your energy, and your smiling eyes. And Kady, I second your bagel comment. And did you get apple juice? Amazing apple juice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!