Friday, January 18, 2013

Birthday number 31

Ignore my messy desk. Fountas & Pinnell (reading assessment) exploded on it...
Yesterday was my 31st birthday.  Ten years ago - I was having a blast, drinking - legally - for the first time. Actually, to be more specific - I was at DePauw, during Winter Term (aka: no one on campus), at a hole-in-the-wall bar, getting a lap dance from two townies. It was gross. Luckily, my pseudo-boyfriend Tyson was there to rescue me. There were Strawberry Shortcake Shots and eventually some traditional 21st birthday puking. Stellar.

Fast forward TEN whole years and I spent my birthday teaching 5/6 year olds. Let me tell you - if you think birthdays "are just another day" - you need to celebrate with 22 Kindergarteners. They sang to me, gave me hugs ALL day, told me I'm "the bestest teacher EVER," and were well-behaved ALL day. It was awesome! One of my kiddos - who came to me in October and knew 9 letters - read me a (level B) book and I cried (joyful tears).

I cried again when the secretary called to tell me I had flowers waiting for me in the office. It seems my husband thought he should remind me that "birthdays are special." And the card attached was SUPER sweet. (Bonus Points to Tyson)

It was a great day. A day to be thankful for the things I have: a loving husband, healthy children, supportive family, amazing friends, stinky dogs, a job I'm passionate about, a limitless future...and being completely at peace with the fact that I will never again get a lap dance from two townies in a hole-in-the-wall bar, while taking Strawberry Shortcake Shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!