Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Family Tradition

I decided to go ahead and put up the Christmas tree. I just decorated it with non-breakable ornaments...and lots of bows. I know my son and I know his obsession with all things NOT his... We would have had broken glass ALL over. As I picked out ornaments to put on the tree, I realized the importance of a childhood tradition my parents started for us as infants. Each year they would purchase or let us pick out a Hallmark ornament. As I put them on the tree this year, I noticed that I often chose ornaments that reflected my interests at the time.
This is one of my MANY "1st Christmas" ornaments. I think it was the only one that was "Jack friendly."

Totally stumped on this. I never played tennis. Maybe I just really enjoyed Wimbledon that year?!?!
Bought this when I was 8...during my obsession with Ryne Sandberg and the Cubs.
This was my ornament from my freshman year in high school when I enjoyed summer afternoons on Winona Lake.
I was twelve when I discovered my love for horses. Sadly, I chose a BOY over my beloved Arab, Chaney, when I was sixteen....dumb...very dumb.

I look forward to starting this tradition with Jack this year and continuing it throughout the years. It will be fun to watch him choose ornaments based on his interests. And when he's 22 and moving out, I will help him pack up his collection for his own tree. What a great family tradition! (Thanks, Mom & Dad!)

2 comments:

  1. When he's 22 and moves out? I am pretty sure neither you nor your two younger brothers moved out of the house until at least 24 (that's being generous) ;) It still deserves a thanks to Yed and Shits nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, i moved out 3 days after my 23rd birthday. Don't be a hater, Karley.

    Fyi to everyone else: Shits is a nickname for my mother (she hates when we call her that in public). It has nothing to do with bodily functions. And Yed or Yeddy or Fred are my dad's nicknames. We use them lovingly.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!