Sunday, February 20, 2011

Waiting for Superman - Review

I watched the movie "Waiting for Superman" this weekend and I was impressed. It definitely illustrates the difficulties and downfalls in our educational system. It was heartbreaking to see that so many families are in a losing battle to get their children into the best school possible. Education is definitely something I have taken for granted in my life.

My one "issue" with the film was the depiction of charter schools. While the schools that were highlighted in the film seem to have high academic standards and positive outcomes for students - I know this is not always the case. The film even states that only 1 in 5 charter schools is able to achieve such "amazing results." However, the film quickly skips over this statistic and paints the picture that charter schools are the answer to many of our educational woes. I completely disagree. I think the focus shouldn't have been on the fact that these charter schools were successful - but instead, it should have focused on the leadership within the schools, the curriculum taught, and the dedication of the teachers working there.

One of the most shocking parts of the film came when the (appointed) Superintendent of the Washington, D.C. Public Schools proposed a new plan to the Teacher's Union. They had the choice...keep tenure and only have the potential to earn $53K OR get rid of tenure and have the potential to earn up to $122K. Sadly, but not surprisingly, the NEA did not allow the teachers to participate in a vote. They decided that they would not acknowledge the proposal. In my opinion, their actions speak volumes. If you are a great teacher - you would be willing to give up tenure, prove your worth to the district & your dedication to your students, and earn a six figure salary.

All in all - I definitely recommend seeing the film! It will infuriate you, inspire you, and leave you wondering..."what can I do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!