Thursday, September 30, 2010

Advice Wanted

Jack is becoming more brazen in his constant quest to move. Lately, he has been experimenting with his newest "trick" - pulling himself up onto anything and everything (chairs, shower curtains, stairs, my legs). I have a more laid back view of his explorations. I think..."Millions of kids have done this. If he falls, he'll be okay." (Obviously, I'm not going to let him hurt himself badly.)

However, Tyson is extremely worried about Jack's head meeting our hardwood floors one too many times. Therefore, he has found a HELMET. (see image) He has it sitting in his "cart" on Amazon.com. I'm trying to talk him out of buying it.

So - please give us some insight into this dilemma. Keep in mind that our house is 100% hardwood...except for the kitchen (slate) and the basement (thin carpet over concrete). Oh, and our son believes he is Spiderman.

4 comments:

  1. Let him live and learn. I (uncle joe) am a believer that pain is the greatest teaching tool. Example... Kady when we were growing up would get mad at me for something she would smack me. If she hit me hard enough and i cried I probably didn't do what upset her again. Another Example Jon(uncle Jon) wanted to play a video game, instead of me allowing him to play I told him NO so he (uncle Jon) hit me in the head with the video tape (yes I am that old that it was a video tape/game and not a CD) I bleed all over the place. I learned to share the nintendo with Uncle Jon. Uncle Jon learned after his spanking that he needs to not hit uncle Joe in the head with video games. Jack will learn that if something hurts he wont do it again if he is a tough kid and stuborn he will take the falls get back up and keep going. Tyson needs to listen to Brad Paisley "Anything like me" might bring back some memories of what Tyson did as a young boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kady and Tyson- Do not buy the helmet. Jack is a lot more savvy than you think. Trust me he will not be falling on his head. Just be sure he can't pull things over on himself and try to rearrange/pad if things have really sharp edges.....Ty, his brother, and all of his cousins weathered this stage just fine. Jack will too. Watch out for basement stairs if there is no door.....block stairs to second floor and start teaching him to go up one step and how to get back down. He is a smart little boy...don't underestimate his ability to gauge his own limits. Yes, there may some bumps...he'll be fine. love , Aunt Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I find the helmet rather cute so I would not be opposed to it for his being "in style". As far as falls and bumps, all little kids experience them.. you just have to keep an eye on him and make sure nothing BIG happens to him. The helmet is cute, go for it Ty, so he can be "IN STYLE.... My classy little grandson".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not surprising. My mother, the worrier, says GO for it. (she secretly wants him...and all of us...to wear one too)

    If we got this helmet (which we aren't going to) I would get it in yellow and cut off those ears. Those are just dorky. (HA)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!