Friday, September 24, 2010

My First Crush

I had a moment today while watching Ellen (love her). She had my very first crush on her show - Rick Fox. He is a former NBA player (Celtics & Lakers), now appearing on Dancing with the Stars.

I fell in love with Rick at the tender age of 5. He was one of my mom's students and a stand-out basketball player in Warsaw (yes, we have more than orthopedics in Warsaw - ever heard of Coco Wheats?!?!). Rick was tall, dark, and handsome and I was head-over-heels IN LOVE.

One day, as a surprise - my mom had Rick stop by our house with another student to meet me. I'm sure she thought I would be ecstatic. Instead, I remember running to my bedroom IN TEARS! How could she TELL HIM that I was in love with him? In my mind, she had ruined any chance of a future with him. I was so embarrassed. I finally mustered up the courage to come out of my room to meet him face-to-face. I remember hearing his deep laugh and thinking he was mocking me, by coming to see me. I was mad at my mom for weeks.

When Rick played for the Celtics we went to a Pacers game to watch him. By that time I had moved on...I had discovered BASEBALL players! (And Cubs' second baseman, Ryne Sandberg!)

I wish Rick the best in his new endeavor. Surprisingly, he still looks like he did in high school. I think he may even be single again.

Sorry, Rick. In case you're wondering, you're too late. I married a baseball player.

3 comments:

  1. You mean "softball player," right? --Mikkel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current softball player, former baseball player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never dreamed I embarassed you so badly. Rick was cool with it and thought it was so "cute" that you had a crush on him. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!