Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkin Cookies


These are Pumpkin Cookies and they are HIGHLY sought after in my family. My Grandma has been making these cookies for as long as I can remember. When I was younger (pre-college) she would send over a shirt box full of these and we treated them as if they were edible gold. To this day, when a box is brought home - everyone's name (in the household) is put on the outside and you have to put a tally by your name for each cookie you eat. This was the most "fair" way to ensure we didn't embark on WWIII. Sometimes someone would accidentally leave the box out and then the dog (usually Freckles) would get whatever cookies were remaining and we would come home to an empty shirt box and a bloated, yet very happy dog. And the finger pointing would begin.

In college I would get my own box of cookies. This made me VERY happy. If any of my friends were lucky enough to enjoy a Pumpkin Cookie at DePauw - you should consider yourself lucky.

I stopped receiving Pumpkin Cookies when I moved to Cleveland. I think Grandma has an unwritten rule - no Pumpkin Cookies for anyone living more than 50 miles away (or maybe just out of state).

Feeling nostalgic - I decided to make these cookies for a Halloween Party we are throwing on Friday night. I worked on them a long time and only ended up with a dozen. So my hat goes off to my Grandma for all those years of shirt boxes full of Pumpkin Cookies.

1 comment:

Leave some LOVE!