Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lansing

Today, I took 22 fourth graders to the capital of Michigan - Lansing! It was my first visit and, despite the heat, we had fun. This is the beautiful capitol building. There was a biker rally going on. They are protesting a law that requires motorcyclists to wear helmets. (aka: an Insurance Agent's nightmare)
 It was a great "teachable moment" - the freedom of speech AND the freedom protest peacefully.

The students looking up from the glass floor...
They were looking up at this...the rotunda. Isn't it gorgeous?



The Mitten State...
And the highlight of our trip - we met the Governor, Rick Snyder.  He was returning to his office for a meeting and we had "inside info" that he would be coming soon...so we had our tour guide procrastinate. It was actually hilarious to see the students' reactions. They had NO IDEA who he was, until I said, "Boys and Girls, this is Governor Snyder." They all jumped up and cameras flashed like crazy. Poor man. I just wish I could have had a moment to pull him aside and give him my opinion on the serious lack of teaching jobs in Michigan. Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!