Monday, August 29, 2011

Survivor: Royal Oak

This weekend felt like an episode of Survivor: Royal Oak. You may see this "episode" re-occur in - oh, December-March, when a new little lady joins our "cast." I thought about her a lot this weekend . . . and must admit, although selfish, my own survival was constantly on my mind. Tyson and I wandered around our "island" (house) in a daze, red-eyed and exhausted. Jack, despite obvious discomfort while sleeping, was completely fine while upright. And he seemed to be attracting as much trouble as he possibly could. Let's put it this way - we caught him biting into a Cascade packet (time for Jack-proof cabinet locks) and playing in (and possibly eating) dog food.

Saturday night Jack was up a few times from 10pm - 5:45am  - when he decided to wake up for good.  I had made the mistake of staying up WAY too late (why did I do that?) and Tyson got up with him. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control - I wasn't able to fall back asleep.  Napping wasn't on Jack's agenda for most of the day. And it didn't take long to realize - he was suffering from yet ANOTHER ear infection. If you have lost count, don't worry, I had too - but a trip to the pediatrician today confirmed that he's had one a month since December. Not good.

So, the "T" word  (tubes) was discussed. I shouldn't say "discussed" - I should say "highly recommended." And Jack has an appointment with the ENT on Wednesday. Surgery is the last thing I want for him - but it seems better than pain and sleepless nights every month.

If you are interested in learning more about the procedure (I'm talking to Nancy & Shirlee) - you can go HERE.  In a nutshell: it's about 5 min, Jack would be under a local anesthetic, and wouldn't have any pain afterward - although they do describe some nasty drainage that may occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!