Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Another Announcement from Jack

We escaped the heat {of our house} yesterday by spending some time at Target. Simply torture. Okay, fine, I'll spend an hour shopping for things I may {or may not} need…

During our visit to the baby section I decided to test the potty training waters with Jack. I asked him if we should look at "big boy" underwear. He agreed. He wanted some. I asked if we should look at the potties. He agreed. He wanted one, a frog one. Awesome. I was happy with the direction this was heading…

I decided to find an incentive. "Let's go look at the cars. If you use the potty, mommy will give you a new car." He picked out a helicopter. All the way through the store & checkout line he talked about how he would use the potty when we got home. He really wanted that $4 helicopter.

We set up Mr. Potty Frog, put on some "big boy" underwear, and sat down for lunch. Jack was mildly interested in eating, but when he left the table for some "private time" - I realized what he was up to. I hurried him to the potty and…

Well, I'll let him tell you {actually this is the video we sent Tyson}.

Success! A poop on the potty!! Jack immediately asked for three things: 1) his promised helicopter 2) a diaper  3) to watch the "poot go bye bye" {aka: flush it}

So you may be wondering how potty training is going now. Today he has 100% refused to even so much as LOOK at Mr. Potty Frog. I'd say we're in for a long {& expensive} potty training road.

Side Story:
So another mom overheard me talking to Jack about potty training. As far as moms go, we wouldn't have much in common. I know this because of the conversation I heard between her & her little boy.

Mom: I'm not buying you no more diapers.
Son: Why?
Mom: Because you ain't a baby no more. You need to grow up.
Son: Why?
Mom: Come here. Look at these underwear. I'll buy you the Spiderman ones, but you have to start going potty on the toilet… Or outside. It counts if you go outside.

{WHAT? Hold the phone. Did she just tell her son to go potty outside? Yes.She.Did!}

I have two brothers and a "former frat boy" husband, I know boys most certainly go pee outside. I'm actually jealous of their ability to do so… However, I'm not sure potty training entails teaching your toddler to pee behind the tree out back.

Did I miss something? Is this a new method that I've never heard about? I'm not so sure our neighbors would appreciate this.

2 comments:

  1. My friend has a 3 year old daughter that wont go on the potty and has ZERO interest. At least Jack is chipping away at the end goal. GOOD JOB JACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must be related to my brother-in-law. His boys were found dropping their drawers at the family reunion this weekend. Evidently, finding the privacy of a tree is optional :/

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!