Thursday, March 11, 2010

Taking Time for ME

I always knew that being a mommy would be challenging. I also knew it would be my biggest accomplishment and the "job" I would love the most. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and I hope to return to the classroom. But there is something special about being home with your baby. Obviously, like any "job," some days are better than others. You take the good with the bad, one day at a time. In really tough moments I think, "someday I'll miss this" or "I'll laugh at this tomorrow."

While I truly enjoy my new role, I also have to remember that I need time to myself. I can leave Tyson with Jack while I get some quality "me" time. Whether it's quiet time with a book or retail therapy with Brooke (poet, didn't even know it) - I need to take some time to escape my "job."

One thing that has been bothering me is my body. I feel fortunate to have lost almost all of the "baby weight" - but I still feel out of shape. With summer looming and bikini nightmares waking me in cold sweats - I've decided to take action. I bought a workout DVD called the 30 Day Shred and plan to use it - along with some other forms of exercise. I like the DVD because there are three 20 minute workouts...perfect for when Jack is enjoying an afternoon snooze.
I've also re-commited myself to books. Before I was pregnant I read all the time. During my pregnancy I was so tired, if I tried to read, I would just fall asleep. So - I'm vowing 10 in 2010. Yup, 10 books in 2010. Now to avid readers, that may seem weak - but this will be a challenge for me. Right now I am reading Water for Elephants (thanks, Nancy!). I tried to read it one other time, but then I met Edward Cullen and I lost focus.
I have other "me" time activities coming up. My good friend, Kelly, is coming in from Chicago and I plan on enjoying a Girl's Night with her. And this summer my friends from college are planning a Girl's Weekend - which I'm SUPER excited about!

I love my boys - all four of them, human and canine alike...but this girl needs some estrogen in her life.

1 comment:

  1. Water for Elephants is a wonderful book. And I heard they are making it into a movie!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!