Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Art of Not Waking a Sleeping Child

Today Jack & I were up and out early for some serious "treasure hunting" (as my friend, Sarah, calls it). I am SO sick of looking at my house...but more on that later.

On our way home, Jack fell asleep. I knew I was pushing it...it was too close to nap time and I needed to make ONE more stop. Two minutes from our house, I turned around to see my baby boy sound asleep in his car seat. Nooooo!

We pulled into the garage and I decided to try to keep him asleep. My Dad did this ALL the time when I was little. How hard can it be??

This is how it went down:
...pull him out of carseat, shut car door (*eyes flutter*)
...up porch stairs and open back door, dogs bark (*more eye flutters*)
...walk inside, shoo dogs out the door (he's still sound asleep...YESSS!)
...walk through kitchen, dodge one of Tucker's bones on the floor (phew)
...trip over baby gate, recover from near fall (*eyes open...I FREEZE...eyes close again* those yoga classes are finally paying off! my balance is amazing!)
...up the stairs, stepping in all of the quiet places (why did I insist on an old house???)
...down the hall, into Jack's room
...lean into crib to lay him down as softly as humanly possible, car alarm starts to go off (ARE YOU SERIOUS?)
...realize it is my car (I leaned on my keys and hit the alarm button), search for keys in pocket with my one free hand, purse slips off shoulder and hits Jack in the head (*eyes fly open & he gives me a "What the heck, MOM?" look*)

MAJOR FAIL

It is now 2:15pm and guess who still hasn't taken a nap today??

1 comment:

  1. Love it...Love it...Love it! This was the story of my life with Kady! Every time I thought I "did it" she would wake up and start crying.... she hated to sleep and she hated to be awakened when she was taking her 5 min. cat nap.... I remember those "tired" days. Love this little story!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!