Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lunch in the E.R.

Jack had a play date at the park with the Carsten boys today. Julia wrote me this morning and said she was packing a lunch, because her boys get hungry early. I decided that I would do the same, so I threw together some things for Jack. I also threw in a bottle for Josie. Good thing I did!

We got to the park and I realized that I had forgotten Jack's shoes. (Let's just say it's been a LONG week…Tyson's traveling, Jack isn't sleeping well at night, and then there are the early morning feedings for Josie.) Anyway - NO SHOES. I thought about running home, but Jack was anxious to play. In my mind I rationalized…"they have to wear their socks at indoor play areas…he'll be fine." We hadn't been there 5 minutes and Jack fell while climbing up a structure. He was crying…and then I realized he was bleeding under his chin, so I called Julia over to take a look. We agreed he would probably need stitches. So I loaded the kids back in the car and left the park for the hospital.

Ironically, as we pulled out of the park I could see a billboard on I-69 that said "Lutheran Hospital ER Wait Time: 2 minutes." They weren't too far off, actually. It took me longer to find a parking spot & walk in, than it took to get into a room.



(Sidenote: as we were in triage a woman came in with a lawn mower injury to her foot…yikes!)

The nurses and staff were super nice. Jack ate his lunch while we waited. Then he watched some Curious George on my phone…and then he got three stitches. Poor guy. He cried and it broke my heart. But he was brave (like "Spiderman").



And when he was all done he ate a cherry popsicle…and fell asleep in the car. He's napping now. I think I might take a nap, too. That's a lot of unwelcome excitement for one morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!