Thursday, May 3, 2012

Treasure Hunt Snack Mix

Before Josie was born - I stressed about how I would take TWO kids out in public without losing one of them and/or my mind. As everyone knows Jack is a runner. He's an active boy and sitting in a cart while I decide if I want Gala or Macintosh apples - well, he doesn't have the patience for that. So I devised a plan and I've been using it for a few weeks now - successfully, I might add.
I give credit for this idea to my friend, Julia (she has no idea she gave me this idea - thanks, Julia!).  Anyway - one day I saw her give her boys a mix of items in a bag for a snack…and the lightbulb went off. If I go shopping during snack time - he'll sit and eat. BUT - if I make his snack interesting, then it will take him longer to eat it.

So basically, I make a "Treasure Hunt Snack Mix" for him and he LOVES it! I mix a handful of 4-5 of the items below into a bag or bowl.

Here are some of the basic foods I've used:
- cereals (whatever we have: cheerios, life, chex)
- nuts
- raisins (regular & yogurt covered)
- popcorn
- goldfish
- oyster crackers
- craisens

Then I always add some "Bonus" treats like:
- chocolate chips
- M&Ms
- marshmallows
- jelly beans

He loves looking for his favorite foods first (usually the chocolate, because he is his mama's son), then he moves on to the other snacks. It's quick, easy, and it definitely holds his attention for a shopping trip. Try it out…and let me know if you have other snacks that would work well for this!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some LOVE!