Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jack's Birth Story

Good Morning! Yes, I am up at 6:00am and feeling great. I may need a nap or two later, but right I just can't sleep. Baby Jack and I spent our first night together. I sent Tyson home because he was exhausted and definitely needed a night in his own bed. We will be tackling week 1 as new parents...at home, with no nurses or family (our choice) - and I need him to be well-rested! Plus, he was such an amazing coach, he deserves some serious shut eye. I know it killed him to leave his baby boy.

I know a lot of you were tuned in yesterday and following Jack's arrival. Sadly, there was a big chunk of time that Tyson was unable to make updates, so I thought I would fill you in on our day...Jack's Birth Day.

We checked in at 6:45am (yes, it was supposed to be 6:30 - but unlike my son, I'm ALWAYS late). In Triage, they found that I had high bloodpressure and that sent them into a tizzy, thinking it could be pre-eclampsia. Luckily, it was just my nerves and everything was a GO.

I was hooked up to my IV and pitocin a little before 9:00am. The doctor came in shortly after and broke my water. Tyson and I looked at each other in shock (she was doing a "check" and decided to break it, without any warning). I should add, it doesn't hurt to have your water broken, but you feel like you wet yourself and it made me laugh. The laughing didn't last too long, because contractions quickly started coming.

Around 11:30, I was checked and I was at 5cm. I asked for Nubain to "take the edge off" my contractions. That is some GOOD stuff! I was feeling awesome. I still felt the contractions, of course, but I was able to relax so much in between them. The medicine wore off after about an hour and a half - at which time I asked for the epidural. By now, my contractions were strong (thanks to the Pitocin) and I was shaking. Apparently there was a pretty serious/life threatening situation for a mom down the hall and I had to wait QUITE a while for the anesthesiologist to come. Once he finally did, he got me going and they laid me on my side. A contraction was coming on and boy did I feel it! It was intense pressure and it made me want to push. When I told the staff (including the anesthesiologist, who was still cleaning up) they all looked at each other in shock. I heard them say, "Do you think she could be ready?" (I should note that they did not do a check before the epi)

Low and behold - I was 10cm and ready to push! (see why Tyson was tied up?!?) I won't go into details about this stage - but I will say it was the most difficult thing I've ever done. It was also the most rewarding. After almost 7 hrs of Labor and 2hr 10min of pushing - he came out (sporting a sweet conehead) at 3:51pm. I think I was emotionally drained, because I didn't cry. I was so happy to have it over with and hear that I had a healthy baby.

Tyson was THE CUTEST new daddy in the world. I have never seen that side of him (of course) - but he was grinning from ear to ear and I even saw him cry (a first since our wedding). He is SO proud and SO natural.

More to come soon...including the reason behind his name...but right now, I have a little baby boy to feed! Thanks, again, for all the love and support! It means so much to us!

PS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Katie Beehler Maile (my maid of honor, and best friend since birth!)

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that all the three of you are doing great. Thanks for the detailed story as I was wondering what happened. I had the blog up at my office all day. I am excited to meet Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Kady! It must have been nice to plan your last meals and get everything packed and ready and know when he was to come. I'm glad everything worked out great and he was a perfect size! Welcome to the Mom's club! I love the name too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE!